CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
"To the world you may be one person...but to one person you may be the world..."

About Me

Melissa
I grew up in a village of 500 people and now live in a beach town of 10 000. Wife to Jeff, Mama to Makenna and Jack. This is my place to share what's up with us, and the place where I sometimes need to pour my heart out about the not so sunshiney moments. This is my happy place. Thanks for stopping by :) Copyright 2012 by Melissa Wormington, that no part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, without permission from the publisher.
View my complete profile

The Wormingtons

The Wormingtons
Jeff, Makenna, Jack and Melissa. Spring 2012. Photo credit: Tricia Denomme/Hope Photography

Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Kids in My Kitchen: Pear Upside Down Cake!

I went to SMOYC the other night and wanted to take a dessert. I decided to make Pear Upside Down Cake, partly because I had never made an upside down cake, and I thought Makenna would think the process was neat.



Turned out Makenna had no interest, as she had decided (for that moment anyway) that she didn't like pears. But, my ever ready and willing son was quite happy to help.




So first we peeled and cored 3 Bartlett pears.




Then we sliced and layered them in a greased 9x13 pan.




Yeah...he knows I am taking his picture, so he is saying "cheese".







Combine Brown Sugar and Pumpkin Pie Spice. I didn't have Pumpkin Pie Spice so I used nutmeg and cinnamon.









Sprinkle that over the pears



And then sprinkle dried cranberries on top.






Then you make the cake. Combine a 2 layer white or yellow cake mix, a box of vanilla pudding powder...



4 eggs...



1 1/4 cups of water



and 1/4 cup of oil


Mix with beaters until well blended




Pour the cake mixture overtop of the pear/brown sugar/cranberry mixture





Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 mins until inserted toothpick comes out clean.




Cool for 10 mins and then using oven mitts, flip the pan upside down onto a platter.



Gently remove the cake from the pan...and...Tadaa!!


At this point Makenna came around and thought it was cool how the pears showed up on the "top" of the cake. Then we sprinkled more cranberries around it, to make it look pretty.




I took it to my SMOYC night and brought some back home. So my family was able to try it too.


Jack loves this cake. He had 2 pieces after lunch today and kept saying how yummy it was. Makenna agreed to try a piece, as long as I picked off the pears and berries. My brother was here today too and also really liked it.




I chose this recipe because I thought the kids would get a kick out of the "upside down" part. It was really simple to make and it is a really good cake! This was a good week to make it too, as pears are on sale for 99 cents/lb at Zehrs and I got the cake mix for 99 cents at Giant Tiger!

The recipe I used is from the latest Kraft What's Cooking Magazine (love this magazine, and it's free!) and can be found here.

Yep...looks way better in that picture, but hey, it still tastes great!
























0 comments: