CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
"To the world you may be one person...but to one person you may be the world..."

About Me

Melissa
I grew up in a village of 500 people and now live in a beach town of 10 000. Wife to Jeff, Mama to Makenna and Jack. This is my place to share what's up with us, and the place where I sometimes need to pour my heart out about the not so sunshiney moments. This is my happy place. Thanks for stopping by :) Copyright 2012 by Melissa Wormington, that no part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, without permission from the publisher.
View my complete profile

The Wormingtons

The Wormingtons
Jeff, Makenna, Jack and Melissa. Spring 2012. Photo credit: Tricia Denomme/Hope Photography

Friday, August 27, 2010

Why I love Fridays...

I don't work Fridays. I have a 3 day weekend, which gives me that extra day to (in theory) get things done. Along with all the routine domestic chores, I can take the kids to the library, or the park, or the splashpad, or the beach...or let them play in their Pjs all day...I get to spend one day at home each week with my kids and in a couple weeks when Makenna is in school every day, this will enable me to attend a playgroup with Jack each Friday, as well as take Makenna to and from school myself. Both of these things, spending time with Jack at a playgroup as his mommy, not the facilitator, and taking Makenna to school and picking her up, are important to me.

When Jeff gets home from work just after 5, there's no rush. No rushing off to another activity for any of us, no rush to get the kids off to bed so they can get up early enough the next morning. We can eat supper at 5:30, or we can eat closer to 7...it really doesn't matter. And then what we do after supper is up for discussion too. Tonight we went for a walk and when we came home we ended up playing Makenna's version of charades where we had to guess what animal she was being, or what profession she was acting out...we all took turns, including Jack, and we all had fun and laughed, so much.

Makenna: "I have wings...I live in Canada...I am black and white...I can't fly..."
Answer: Penguin!

Jack: "My turn....YELLOW!...2 FEET!... 2 EYES!"
Us: We don't know, Jack what are you?"
Jack: "No! Guess again!"
Us: "What are you Jack?"
Jack "CATERPILLAR FROG!...HAHAHAHAHA!"

We would go around the circle each giving clues and taking guesses, then would come back to Jack...
Jack: "My turn! "RED!...4 LEGS! ...2 EYES!"
Us: We don;t know, Jack what are you?"
Jack: "No! Guess again!"
Us: "What are you Jack?"
Jack: "CATERPILLAR FROG!...HAHAHAHAHA!"

And so it went.

Then, we took turns acting out various animals and people. Jeff was a firefighter, which none of us guessed, lol...we guessed fisherman, and many other things...but not a fireman. Makenna, of course, acted out the role of a teacher, and Jack flipped back and forth between a bear and a chicken....oh did he make us laugh.



This evolved into a game of hide and seek in the backyard. The kids searched high and low for Jeff...took them awhile to find him on the roof of the shed.




They finished their evening off with a snack of cheese and crackers outside, not wanting to come in just yet...not wanting the night to end.


Then Makenna was delighted by the surprise visit from a friend who dropped off an early birthday present. The two of them settled down on the front porch and played together as if it were something they did everyday, giving the moms time for a nice chat. Makenna loved her gift (Thanks Brenda, I know you played a role in that) and she loved the impromptu playtime, as did the moms.

Makenna went to bed happy and full of anticipation of all that tomorrow holds for her. Jack was having so much fun he didn't want the day to end. He fought the whole "bedtime" idea pretty hard, but now the house is quiet and here I sit with my little lamp on, CMT on in the backround, feeling very much at peace, very content, and wanting to somehow capture this evening in a way that I will remember it long after tonight. This post is for Jeff and I...to look back on, to remind us.
What a fun night we had in our own backyard.
I love Fridays.

0 comments: