CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
"To the world you may be one person...but to one person you may be the world..."

About Me

Melissa
I grew up in a village of 500 people and now live in a beach town of 10 000. Wife to Jeff, Mama to Makenna and Jack. This is my place to share what's up with us, and the place where I sometimes need to pour my heart out about the not so sunshiney moments. This is my happy place. Thanks for stopping by :) Copyright 2012 by Melissa Wormington, that no part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, without permission from the publisher.
View my complete profile

The Wormingtons

The Wormingtons
Jeff, Makenna, Jack and Melissa. Spring 2012. Photo credit: Tricia Denomme/Hope Photography

Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Kids in my Kitchen: Strawberry Pie and Tarts with Makenna and Jack.

The Kids in My Kitchen is an ongoing series detailing the adventures my kids and I have in the kitchen together. We choose a recipe, make it together and I blog about it. I think it's important for the kids to be in the kitchen with us, and this article does an excellent job of explaining why I feel that way. To see what all we have blogged about in the kitchen, click here.
 

Every year I take at least one of the kids to either The Bayfield Berry Farm or the former Te-Em Farms (now known as Stonefield Garden Centre and Market) for a morning of "pick your own" strawberry fun.  Last Friday Jack, his little friend and I joined Jodi and a few other friends and we came home with 3 quarts.  It's a June tradition we have all come to love. 

Another June tradition is my brother's birthday.  For as long as I can remember my mom has made strawberry pie to coincide with his party.  This evening at our home we were celebrating both Mike's birthday and Father's Day (yes a week late) so it was the perfect "Kids in my Kitchen" opportunity. 

First you bake your tart shells and/or pie shells.  Our plan was to have pie for dessert, and tarts for the rest of the week. 


You can make your own pastry crust, but you won't find anything about doing that on this blog, as I am not a "make your own pastry crust" kind of girl.  I quite like the Pillsbury pie crusts. 


Just bake according to directions on the box. 

Meanwhile, prepare filling.  We doubled the original recipe (posted below) for this pie as it was a deep dish pie.  Then we used the original recipe again for the 2 dozen tarts. 

  For our pie we used 6 cups strawberries. You can use fresh or frozen. Make sure they are rinsed and hulled (stems removed). Whether you slice them or leave them whole is up to you.


In a pot combine water,
and sugar (recipe below)
and a pinch of salt
Stir to dissolve sugar and bring to a boil. 
Once boiling, add a separately combined mixture of cornstarch and water
(Combining the cornstarch and water)

to the boiling water.  Stir until it creates a thick syrupy consistency
Next, add jello powder.  The regular recipe calls for one package, since we doubled the recipe we used 2. 



And stir to combine.
Add your berries to the mix

And stir to coat well.
At this point, we put the berry mixture aside.  This next step is completely optional, but awesome. 

We melted chocolate chips (I didn't measure how many, just dumped some in the bowl)

And 1 square of white bakers chocolate (used the microwave to melt them)

And using pastry brushes, coated the now cooled shells with the melted chocolate. 


You don't have to add the chocolate.  It tastes great without
chocolate.  But we are chocolate lovers here and whenever there is the opportunity...


Add your berry mixture to the shells, and then refridgerate to set, at least 1 hour. 

.....mmmmmmmm.......
  

As for the pie..
 It was a big hit  :)



Oh, and...when doubling the recipe, if you double everything else but forget to double the cornstarch:water ratio - your pie will still set and turn out okay.

Ask me how I know. 


Recipe:  Strawberry Pie/Strawberry Tarts

Ingredients

Pie shell/tart shells  (this recipe fills 24 tart shells)
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
pinch of salt
3 tbsp cornstarch mixed into 1/4 cup water
1 pkg strawberry jello powder
2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries

Directions

Bake shells according to directions

Heat water,sugar and salt until sugar is dissolved.  Bring to boil. 
Add cornstarch/water mixture and stir until it reaches a thick syrup like consistency. 
Add jello powder and stir to combine.  Add berries and stir to coat well.
**Coat shells with melted chocolate, if you so desire**
 Pour into shells.  Refridgerate at least one hour. 
These can also be frozen. 

Yum! 



0 comments: