CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
"To the world you may be one person...but to one person you may be the world..."

About Me

Melissa
I grew up in a village of 500 people and now live in a beach town of 10 000. Wife to Jeff, Mama to Makenna and Jack. This is my place to share what's up with us, and the place where I sometimes need to pour my heart out about the not so sunshiney moments. This is my happy place. Thanks for stopping by :) Copyright 2012 by Melissa Wormington, that no part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, without permission from the publisher.
View my complete profile

The Wormingtons

The Wormingtons
Jeff, Makenna, Jack and Melissa. Spring 2012. Photo credit: Tricia Denomme/Hope Photography

Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Kids in my Kitchen...Smoothies!

"The Kids in my Kitchen" is part of an ongoing series where I blog a recipe the kids and I made together. Why do I think it's important for my kids to be in my kitchen with me? Read this.



Not that I'm complaining or anything...


But...


It's HOT!!!!



Earlier in the week on my other blog I posted some breakfast ideas that wouldn't heat up your kitchen. Today I will show you how we make smoothies.


First though, I want to say, the only smoothie Makenna has ever had before was from a fast food outlet and after begging us for one a few months ago, she took two sips and hated it.


Lately however, my picky almost-seven-year-old has been really good about trying new foods so I decided to give it a shot. After making up a batch of smoothies one night after she had went to bed and her loving them the next day, she asked to help make more.


Zehrs has mangoes on 4 for $5 this week. I bought a couple last year hoping the kids would like them.


Fail.


I quietly tried again this week and told Makenna they tasted just like peaches. She gobbled a whole mango up as if it were a bowl of strawberries or apple slices.

Or peaches.


Then she asked to make mango smoothies.


We used plain yogurt, 1 mango, 5 strawberries, a bit of honey, and a splash of Orange Juice.



Once I made some "starter slices", Makenna got to work peeling the mango.



It's her new favourite fruit.


Never say Never.



Add sliced strawberries and cut up mango to the blender.




We added 1/3 cup of yogurt. I don't usually measure, but Makenna insisted.



And then drizzled some honey on top.






Liquefy in the blender. It takes about a minute.



She is quite pleased with herself.



And it was actually the almost-seven-year-old's idea to garnish with the strawberry like that. Impressive, I know.




She said this was her "favourite kind ever!", keeping mind it is the second kind she has tried.



I love this because normally she hates yogurt, and honey, and if she chooses not to "eat" anything at breakfast, I am satisfied if she has had one of these.

The first kind I made, that got her hooked in the first place, had 5 strawberries, a banana and the flesh of one avocado. (Which she would have freaked out about if she knew)









Add some yogurt, honey and a splash of orange juice (just so it will blend up easier, you could use water instead if you prefer.)


Voila! Smoothies are super easy to make with kids. They will enjoy choosing the flavour combinations, dumping everything into the blender, and of course, making the blender "go". Another idea is to then make popsicles out of the mixture - just pour into dixie cups or popsicle moulds, add a popsicle stick, and freeze for a healthy, refreshing snack!




For added nutritional benefit, you could sneak in some wheat germ or flaxseed...a blender is a wonderful thing!

With so many fruit choices, from peaches to kiwis, from blueberries to avocadoes (You don't taste them I promise), raspberries to mangoes and so much more...the flavour combinations are endless!



Stay Cool!

0 comments: