CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
"To the world you may be one person...but to one person you may be the world..."

About Me

Melissa
I grew up in a village of 500 people and now live in a beach town of 10 000. Wife to Jeff, Mama to Makenna and Jack. This is my place to share what's up with us, and the place where I sometimes need to pour my heart out about the not so sunshiney moments. This is my happy place. Thanks for stopping by :) Copyright 2012 by Melissa Wormington, that no part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, without permission from the publisher.
View my complete profile

The Wormingtons

The Wormingtons
Jeff, Makenna, Jack and Melissa. Spring 2012. Photo credit: Tricia Denomme/Hope Photography

Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Kids in my Kitchen: "Mums" for Mom

"The Kids in my Kitchen" is part of an ongoing series where I blog a recipe the kids and I made together. Why do I think it's important for my kids to be in my kitchen with me? Read this.


It's May 1!! April Showers bring May Flowers right?
Even if you have a black thumb in the garden you can still produce some beautiful flowers in the kitchen. I promise you, no matter how uncomfortable you are in the kitchen, you can do this one.

I was so thrilled when I came across this idea this morning and realized I already had everything needed in my cupboards.

First, bake some cupcakes. We had a box of white confetti cupcake mix on hand, so that's what we used.



Then you ice them. We used cream cheese icing that we had in the cupboard. You could use any light coloured icing.

This is a great job for the little ones because it doesn't matter what they look like when iced; you are going to cover the tops anyway. They will feel quite important doing this job.


While they are doing that, you can cut mini marsmallows in half diagonally. Marshmallows are sticky on the inside and that's what you want to expose.



Once cut, you may have to pull each half apart a bit to expose the sticky part.



Gently dip the sticky part of the marshmallow into some coloured sugar





And stick it (sticky side up) onto the cupcake.


Look at that lip stuck out in concentration.

You can use sprinkles too.





Ta-da!!






So very simple, pretty, and kid friendly.


Yummy too!





Playing "He loves me..he loves me not" with the "petals".




The blog where I found this idea (see link below) used green licorice for the "stems". I couldn't find any green licorice today, but I actually came up with an idea I like better.





I got this little clay pot at Walmart for 57 cents and filled it with a bit of green tissue paper.







How cute would these be as Mother's Day Gifts? A great little project for Mom and the kids to enjoy together, to make for Grandma, or a project for Dad and the kids to make for Mom (hint hint Daddy readers...), etc. The kids could even decorate the pots with paint, their handprints, stickers, markers, etc. The pot makes them easy for traveling too. They would make cute centerpieces for your Mother's Day meal.



Or, instead of pots, you could use the little saucers that you can get for the pots too.


Whether you make them to celebrate Spring, Mother's Day, or just for fun...




These cupcake flowers are adorable, easy and very kid friendly.






As much as I wish I can take credit for this idea, I can't. I got the idea here.

:)

0 comments: