CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
"To the world you may be one person...but to one person you may be the world..."

About Me

Melissa
I grew up in a village of 500 people and now live in a beach town of 10 000. Wife to Jeff, Mama to Makenna and Jack. This is my place to share what's up with us, and the place where I sometimes need to pour my heart out about the not so sunshiney moments. This is my happy place. Thanks for stopping by :) Copyright 2012 by Melissa Wormington, that no part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, without permission from the publisher.
View my complete profile

The Wormingtons

The Wormingtons
Jeff, Makenna, Jack and Melissa. Spring 2012. Photo credit: Tricia Denomme/Hope Photography

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Picky Picky Picky!

I am a foodie. I love food. I love cooking, baking, shopping for food (although I hate spending money on food), entertaining, potlucks, reading cookbooks…I love all things food. I eat when I am bored. I eat late at night. I have to have a snack with my favourite TV shows. I am an emotional eater and I am an emotional baker, but not the emotional baker But I am a picky eater. I like what I like, but there’s a lot I don’t like. The other night over dinner, friends and I got into a discussion about that.


So, Let’s discuss.

I love chips. And chocolate. Especially together. But not all kinds of chips. I am picky. I like plain chips, sour cream and onion and sour cream and bacon chips. That’s it. Oh, wait. there is a new kind – sour cream and cheddar – it's pretty good too.


I do not like anything peppermint. No candy canes, no mint smoothies (even though they have chocolate), no mints the restaurants give you…no mint anything. Gross.

I also do not like gum of any kind.

I looooooove macaroni and cheese – homemade or store bought, but I cannot stand Kraft Dinner. When I spent a lot of time at my grandma’s house growing up, she made homemade macaroni and cheese frequently, but would never buy Kraft Dinner, saying it tasted “like glue”. Now, I agree about the Kraft Dinner, and thankfully, so does Makenna. Although she will eat it at Jodi’s. Jeff and Jack on the other hand, love Kraft Dinner, and consider it a treat, since it is so rarely in this house. When I was getting married, Jeff’s sister had a Pampered Chef bridal shower for me, and everyone attending was to give me a copy of their favourite recipe. Jeff’s brother Kevin gave me the recipe for how to make Kraft Dinner – from the box it came in. On another note – I cannot, no matter how hard I try, and I have tried for many years, make my grandma’s macaroni and cheese.

I have mentioned before that I prefer my burgers and hotdogs plain – no condiments. Hotdogs must be BBQ'd. The smell of boiled or microwaved hotdogs makes me nauseous. I am also not a big fan of ketchup on my fries, although I am getting better about that. I do not like gravy on fries, but like it on mashed potatoes. I do not like poutine, but do like loaded fries from places like Crabby Joes and Outback Steakhouse. I do not like BBQ sauce on my steak. I do not like mayo on my sandwiches, not even on BLTs on Clubhouses...I love those sandwiches...provided there is no mayo.

One of the reasons I hate going to funerals, aside from the obvious, is the food. I hate funeral food. Egg salad, tuna and salmon sandwiches – yuck. And if there are meat sandwiches, they usually have mayo or mustard on them. Gross.

I don’t like salmon sandwiches, but I do like salmon steaks or fillets. I do not like tuna, shrimp, mussels, escargot (all of which I have tried) but I do like salmon, trout, crab legs and lobster.

I could eat chicken 7 days a week. Roast chicken, Chicken Parmesan, Chicken Divan, Chicken Quesadillas, Chicken chili, Chicken fingers, Chicken wings…mmmm…love it all.

I love sweet potatoes. Sweet potato fries and casseroles. Sadly, I am alone in my house on this. The kids both liked sweet potatoes as babies, which is when I discovered it, but then they both grew out of it. And Jeff firmly believes a potato should not be sweet.

I have a complicated relationship with eggs. Overeasy – yes – but only to dip my toast in the yolk – I love love love that, but then leave the whites on my plate. I love the sausage and egg breakfast sandwich at Tim Hortons, and I love making my own egg mcmuffin type sandwiches on a bun or bagel with cheese. I do not like them scrambled, over medium or hard, poached, hard or soft boiled, pickled or devilled. I don’t really like omellettes or westerns, and cannot stand egg salad. I also love egg shells, that is, what they do for my composter…I go through a lot of them when making cakes and cheesecakes.

I do not drink coffee. Or tea. At all. Period. I have tried both, many ways, and do.not.like.it. I do have a coca cola addiction though.

I believe iceberg lettuce is a completely useless food. There is absolutely no taste to it. I grew up thinking this was the only kind of salad there was. That was the kind of lettuce served on sandwiches too. Then while working in restaurants in highschool I discovered leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, mesclun mix, spinach…the world became a much bigger place. I do not like potato or macaroni salad, coleslaw or bean salad. I do like all kinds of spinach salad, broccoli salad, garden salad (provided it’s not made with iceberg lettuce) and of course, ceaser salad. I am also very picky about salad dressings.

I feel as strongly about McDonald’s cheeseburgers, Arby’s and Dairy Queen as I do about A&W. But: plain cheeseburger from McDonalds, plain roast beef sandwich from Arby’s, any ice cream from Dairy Queen, and plain Teenburger from A&W.

I do not like beans. Baked Beans, Kidney Beans, green or yellow beans fresh from the garden, bean salad…no thank you.

I love searching for and trying out new recipes and would rather make suppers from scratch then buy them ready made – to a point. I do not make my own hamburger patties, but will make a lasagna, not buy it. I will make chicken pot pie, but will buy it ready made if it’s a good deal. And M&Ms has a great one.

I find cooking and baking therapeutic and satisfying. I think it's important to involve my kids in cooking and baking as much as possible, and they love it. And, most of the time, I am the one in charge of the meal planning around here, another thing I believe is worth doing. I like to be organized, and it saves money.

And, after all, no one else could keep any of the above, straight, but me.
:)

1 comments:

Nicole said...

too funny, I love every food you mention :)