CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
"To the world you may be one person...but to one person you may be the world..."

About Me

Melissa
I grew up in a village of 500 people and now live in a beach town of 10 000. Wife to Jeff, Mama to Makenna and Jack. This is my place to share what's up with us, and the place where I sometimes need to pour my heart out about the not so sunshiney moments. This is my happy place. Thanks for stopping by :) Copyright 2012 by Melissa Wormington, that no part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, without permission from the publisher.
View my complete profile

The Wormingtons

The Wormingtons
Jeff, Makenna, Jack and Melissa. Spring 2012. Photo credit: Tricia Denomme/Hope Photography

Thursday, November 29, 2007

My Michael.


Besides being Jeff's wife, Makenna's mom, and pregnant, I am also known as Mike's sister.
I have one sibling. Well...actually, through the magic of the modern family, there are 4 other people in my life I could refer to as step siblings. Technically no one is remarried as of yet, but still. sometimes it's just easier to refer to them that way.
But Mike is my brother. He's my boy. He's my best bet for any type of transplant if I ever need one. He's 22. Mike's been married for 3 months now. I was a VIP at the wedding. Jeff, Makenna and I were all in it, I was involved in the planning, and I had the honour of co - emceeing. Some people would freak out as such a task, but I enjoyed it. Remember, I love to talk.
Mike has done well for himself. In the spring he will be a college graduate, despite never having graduated highschool. He already makes more money than I do, and I was on the honour roll in highschool and graduated from University. But that's fine. Soon he and his wife are getting a puppy - which, for them, will be a good orientation into what having a baby could be like.
I like his wife. Nicole is good for him, and for me. At their wedding, I got to talk a lot - here's one of the speeches I made:


When I was a little girl, I always wanted a little sister. Someone to play dolls with, share secrets with, talk about boys with.
I got Mike.
There are 5 years between us, so at first, it wasn't so bad. He was willing to play anything with me. He would play barbies with me - he gave them all great haircuts. But then he wanted to play He Man, and Ninja turtles, and fighting games.
Mike loved to talk on the phone - except that it was when I was trying to have an all important conversation with a friend, there he'd be on the other phone, listening in, making funny noises into the phone...you know..."MOM!!!!!!"
I tried to give him advice - cause that's what big sisters do - but for a LONG time he didn't want to hear it...not much has changed there...
Forget about telling him a secret - huge tattletale.
And as for talking about boys - Mike was a boy. A sticky, dirty, oftentimes bloody one. And as I already mentioned, for a while there he had his own language that I didn't even understand. Not what I had in mind.
Once he grew out of the annoying stage...about 3 years ago...things changed a bit. Now he's all about talking on the phone. He'll call me on his way home and we can talk forever, about anything. He can even text! Better than me. Mike and I share all kinds of secrets now...many from my teenage years...the ones where I discovered alcohol...
He even did turn out to be someone I could talk to about boys...so much so that he actually helped me choose who would be my husband.
And when it comes to going through the hard stuff together...that's where our relationship really became solid...We learned we could always count on eachother - through anything.
But then, a couple years ago, he made a new friend...and my relationship with my little brother began to change. There was a sidekick now, and it wasn't Nick, or Mark, or Ben. It was someone new. Someone I could actually talk to!
And talk we did. In a few short years I feel I have become very close with Nicole. We have played together, talked on the phone for hours, talked about boys to no end, went through some hard stuff, and secrets! The stuff I know...The best part is...finally someone listens to my advice and appreciates it!
4 years ago I gained 2 sisters in law, but they are both older than me - to them I am the baby. 3 Years ago I was blessed with a daughter. Now I am able to play dolls, play dress up, and be silly like little girls do. For the past 22 years I have had a brother, who has turned out to be one of my very best friends. Today he has given me a very special gift, on HIS special day - someone to talk about life with, share secrets with, whine about boys, parents, friends, etc with. Today, I can finally say, i have a sister.


My brother is one of my best friends. And Nicole is a wonderful addition to our family. Has it only been 3 months? Has it already been 3 months?
Happy 3 months guys!

0 comments: