CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
"To the world you may be one person...but to one person you may be the world..."

About Me

Melissa
I grew up in a village of 500 people and now live in a beach town of 10 000. Wife to Jeff, Mama to Makenna and Jack. This is my place to share what's up with us, and the place where I sometimes need to pour my heart out about the not so sunshiney moments. This is my happy place. Thanks for stopping by :) Copyright 2012 by Melissa Wormington, that no part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, without permission from the publisher.
View my complete profile

The Wormingtons

The Wormingtons
Jeff, Makenna, Jack and Melissa. Spring 2012. Photo credit: Tricia Denomme/Hope Photography

Sunday, October 23, 2011

The kids in my Kitchen: Apple Crisp!

For those that are new here since the tornado, The Kids in My Kitchen is an ongoing series detailing the adventures my kids and I have in the kitchen together.  We choose a recipe, make it together and I blog about it.  I think it's important for the kids to be in the kitchen with us, and this article does an excellent job of explaining why I feel that way.  To see what all we have blogged about in the kitchen, click here.  

It has been quite awhile since I have added to this series, but on Friday I finally had the opportunity.  Just Jack and I for the day, we decided to make Apple Crisp for when Daddy came home for lunch.

I know apple recipes are more a September thing, and that we're almost through October now, but bear with me.  It's still Fall.  It is perfect apple crisp weather.  And that's all that matters right?  

My Apple Crisp recipe comes from my mom's side of the family.  I don't know whose recipe it was originally, but I know at least my mom and my aunt make it the same way.  The one in my recipe box is written in my cousin Krissy's handwriting and was given to me at one of my bridal showers 8 years ago...when Krissy was 17.

First, peel, core and slice 6 cups of apples.

Taking the kids to the Apple Orchard to get the apples is a great first step.  
I didn't do that.  Mine came from the store.   

Jack's first job was to count out 6 apples.
















Then I showed him how to work our Handy Dandy Starfrit Apple Peeler.  He loved this.  Of course, you could just peel the apples with a knife, but this way Jack could be involved.  With a little help he peeled the 6 apples "all by myself!"  I just got a Pampered Chef Apple Peeler...have you seen those things?  They are for the serious apple peeler.  Haven't tried it out yet, but it looks cool.   






Next you core all the apples.  Again, you can do this with a knife, but I am quite attached to this tool here which takes seconds to use.  Jack tried, but didn't quite have the strength. So this was a Mommy job. This tool cored and sliced the apples at the same time, so as I was doing that, Jack could add the sliced apples to the casserole dish.











You can use any type of baking pan or dish.  I like this one because it has a lid, which makes it easy for transporting, and for storing in the fridge.













Sprinkle the apples with 1 tbsp of lemon juice.
Roughly  ;)













Then you make your crumbly topping:
 Stir 6 tbsps of melted butter, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 3/4 cup quick cooking oats, 1/2 cup flour and 1 tsp cinnamon until crumbly.     Jack's job was to dump the ingredients into the bowl and help stir.  















Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the apples.

Microwave (I put the lid one) on high for 6-8 mins until apples are tender.  If you like, you can add ice cream or whipped cream before serving, but Jack is not a fan of ice cream, so we didn't.


I know.







It is the perfect, quick fall dessert, and a very kid friendly recipe, if you approach it the right way.



 And Jack was so proud that he helped make it!

0 comments: