"To the world you may be one person...but to one person you may be the world..."

About Me

I grew up in a village of 500 people and now live in a beach town of 10 000. Wife to Jeff, Mama to Makenna and Jack. This is my place to share what's up with us, and the place where I sometimes need to pour my heart out about the not so sunshiney moments. This is my happy place. Thanks for stopping by :) Copyright 2012 by Melissa Wormington, that no part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, without permission from the publisher.
View my complete profile

The Wormingtons

The Wormingtons
Jeff, Makenna, Jack and Melissa. Spring 2012. Photo credit: Tricia Denomme/Hope Photography

Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Ides of March...

I don't have a "Kids in my Kitchen" post today.
March may have come in like a "Lamb", weather wise, but it was more "Lion like" inside our house this week.
Monday: Jack is awake throughout Sunday night, coughing so hard he is gagging, and crying because he can't stop coughing. I take him to the Doctor monday afternoon, to be told he has a cold, his chest is clear, and to wait for it to run its course.
Tuesday afternoon: I learn Jack has woken up from his nap at Jodi's house, vomiting. I am working late so I call Jeff, who leaves work and brings both kids home. Jack vomits in Jeff's truck on the 2 minute drive, and again once in the house. 10 minutes after I get home from work Jeff leaves for a meeting. Jack vomits 3 more times before going to bed. When I go to bed I check on him to learn he now has diarheaa too. Awesome.
Wednesday: Jack's illness continues. A good friend of mine who is a nurse comes to check in on him. He's not eating much, has zero energy and is sleeping a lot. I am touched by all the kindness and concern shown to me by our friends in this town.
Thursday: His pull up was only damp after 18 hours and he woke up puking again. He can barely keep his eyes open. We spend 3 hours at the hospital with Jack to be told he is on the road to recovery and to keep doing what we're doing. That afternoon he vomits 3 more times and has 2 episodes of diarheaa. I suspect he has influenza. I realize now, I never take pictures of my kids when they are really sick. I somewhat regret that. hmmm...
Friday: The vomiting and diarheaa subsides, he is nibbling, but still sleeping more than he is awake. My mother in law comes up for a couple hours in the morning while I run a couple errands. Jack goes from my chest, to her chest, to bed. She is concerned. My work calls to check in and see if he is okay. Friday evening he has a lot of cramping in his belly and severe gas, which is causing him to cry out in pain.
Saturday: Jack (finally) wakes up happy, energetic and alert. He is eating a bit and has finally
separated from me enough that I can catch up on laundry and other things. He only naps for an hour and wakes up with a lot of tummy pains. Makenna calls to come home early from a playdate as she is not feeling well.
Are you kidding me??
Makenna turns out to be just very overtired. Jack continues to cry out in pain every time he has a bite or drink of something. The smell coming out of that boy as he passes gas is unreal.
10pm: Jeff's fire pager goes off. about 30 mins later I hear from another firefighter wife that one of the local motels is on fire and they will be out most of the night.
11pm: Jeff calls on his cell phone, letting me know he is alright and confirms that he will be out all night. I check on Jack before going to bed and discover he has finally filled his pull up and gotten rid of his tummy pains.
I change him and get all that cleaned up and settle him back in bed. As I get into my own bed he is crying again that his tummy hurts. Knowing Jeff won't be back anytime soon I bring Jack into bed with me. At some point through the night I hear him filling his pants again, and sighing with relief.
4am - Jeff returns. We return Jack to his own bed and Jeff gives me a very brief summary of what happened.
Sunday: 7am - Both kids are awake and Jack is askng for food. He demands crackers with cheez whiz for breakfast, which I provide. I try to keep them quiet so Jeff can sleep.
9:30 - Jeff gets up and gets mobile. He and Makenna are walking out the door to go grocery shopping when his pager goes off again.
The kids and I make homemade granola bars while we wait to see how long Jeff will be.

1pm: Jeff arrives home and tells me he wants to continue with our plan to go to his parents' farm to pick up the fridge we are getting from them. They got themselves a new one and sold us their old one. So we pile in the truck and head to Wingham. While there Jack refuses to nap, charms the socks off of everyone there with his cuteness and my mother in law sews Makenna's snowpants shut. You know, the ones I blogged about yesterday. YESTERDAY.

We come home and bid goodbye to our old fridge

And fill up our "new" fridge

But not before Makenna insists on playing outside while Jeff and a friend are unloading the new fridge. I warned her to stay away from Daddy's truck. Instead she insists on squeezing through the tiny space between it and our front porch steps and rips her snowpants wide open.

Jeff didn't even want to tell me.
He chose this exact moment to go grocery shopping, and took Makenna with him. They came back with groceries and a cute pair of purple splashpants, which would have been great, had they not have been a size 5T.
(She wears anything between a 6 and an 8).
However, the man did try, after a very full night and day on very little sleep, and so I thanked him.
Then I got in the van and returned them.
A friend, who I was just discussing these blasted snowpants with yesterday and inspired yesterday's post, read my facebook rant about the ripped open snowpants and supplied me with a pair of her daughter's old snowpants. They were miles too big.
She also supplied me with a loaf of banana bread, complete with a ribbon, right from her freezer. Cause she just has banana loaves wrapped with ribbon in her freezer, for whoever may need it.

I returned the size 5T pants, bought a size 8 and told Makenna she would be wearing splash pants tomorrow, which suits her just fine. I am tempted to bet money that the knees will be out of them when I pick her up tomorrow afternoon. I may just get over myself and give her the brand new black ones reserved for next year.
Cause the snow isn't going anywhere apparently.
My husband is, quite deservedly, sleeping in the recliner. As I finish this post I look at my fingernails painted bright purple yesterday by Makenna and debate cleaning them off for work tomorrow, a place I haven't been in almost a week, or not caring and just leaving it for another day.
March came in a bit like a Lion in our's hoping for a quieter week ahead!
By the way: I have no idea what "The Ides of March" means.