CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
"To the world you may be one person...but to one person you may be the world..."

About Me

Melissa
I grew up in a village of 500 people and now live in a beach town of 10 000. Wife to Jeff, Mama to Makenna and Jack. This is my place to share what's up with us, and the place where I sometimes need to pour my heart out about the not so sunshiney moments. This is my happy place. Thanks for stopping by :) Copyright 2012 by Melissa Wormington, that no part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, without permission from the publisher.
View my complete profile

The Wormingtons

The Wormingtons
Jeff, Makenna, Jack and Melissa. Spring 2012. Photo credit: Tricia Denomme/Hope Photography

Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Kids in My Kitchen: Valentine's Day Cookie Treats!

"The Kids in my Kitchen" is part of an ongoing series where I blog a recipe the kids and I made together. Why do I think it's important for my kids to be in my kitchen with me? Read this."

A few weeks ago I found these boxes of Candy Canes at Zellers for 62 cents/box.

My plan was to do this for Valentine's treats for Makenna's class. However, once we started opening them, we discovered most of them were broken in a number of places. There were 8 out of 48 candy canes that weren't broken. So already I had a Plan B in mind, but i thought I would try these with the good candy canes I had anyway.

This is what happened after being in the oven for 5 mins:

Oops! Obviously I had the oven too hot and/or had them in for too long. Ah well. All is not lost. I do have a plan for these - I will show you later tonight.
Anyways, back to the Makenna's Valentine's Day Treats: Plan B - the idea for which I got at the bottom of this post. We broke the candy canes into little pieces.




And then looked for a simple Chocolate Cookie Recipe


Which I found here (Chocolate Rolled Cookies). We could have made sugar cookies, but Makenna wanted chocolate, so chocolate it was.

So first, cream 1 cup butter and 1 cup sugar.




Add 1 egg and 1 tsp vanilla

Blend together.

In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients: 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt

Once mixed well, slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients,

And stir

{This is how you know it's going well ;) }


Once you have your dough, cover and refridgerate it. We left it to chill for 1 hour




Once chilled, roll it out and start cutting out your cookies. I wasn't wanting to use flour to roll this out; it would add to much white to the cookies. Turns out the dough was okay to roll without adding anything to it.



Jack's favourite part.

Makenna kept counting to make sure there was 21, enough for everyone in her class.



Bake at 375 F for 8 - 10 mins.

Once cooled, I added the vanilla icing


and Makenna added the candy cane pieces

Of course first they had to try them, to make sure they were good enough to give out to others ;)
No candy cane pieces for Jack: He is my son and like me, dislikes anything minty.


She definitely approved.


So then we got to work decorating the rest.


We had enough for Jack's Valentine's Day Party tomorrow at his daycare (I added bits of red sugar instead of candy cane pieces for the youngest friends)


And we bagged and tagged the rest for Makenna's class party.


-------------------------------------------------
UPDATE!!!
Here's what I did with those candy cane hearts:
Added them to ice cream!
Happy Valentine's Day!
xoxo

0 comments: