CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
"To the world you may be one person...but to one person you may be the world..."

About Me

Melissa
I grew up in a village of 500 people and now live in a beach town of 10 000. Wife to Jeff, Mama to Makenna and Jack. This is my place to share what's up with us, and the place where I sometimes need to pour my heart out about the not so sunshiney moments. This is my happy place. Thanks for stopping by :) Copyright 2012 by Melissa Wormington, that no part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, without permission from the publisher.
View my complete profile

The Wormingtons

The Wormingtons
Jeff, Makenna, Jack and Melissa. Spring 2012. Photo credit: Tricia Denomme/Hope Photography

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Baking Day

Day 3 of Christmas Holidays has been "Baking Day". I usually give my Dad and my brother and sister in law a big box of baked goodies for Christmas, and Mike has already called a few times, wondering what I was making him. I told him I was trying out a few new recipes this year, and he was more than happy to be the taste tester.

First up, we made Nutchos. I discovered these lovely little treats a few years ago, thanks to my mother in law. These are, hands down, Makenna's favourite treat. You crunch up a bag (yes, a bag) of rippled chips.

This was at around 9am this morning...I am not so foolish as to think they weren't snacking as they were crushing...ah well, it's holiday time right?



Melt 2 bags chocolate chips and 1 bag peanut butter chips either in the microwave, stirring frequently, or in a double boiler. My method is to have a pot of boiling water on a stove, then the chocolate chips in a bowl over that pot.


Combine melted chocolate chip mixture with potato chips and a cup or so of peanuts, and stir so the mixture is coated.




Then drop spoonfuls onto wax paper. They don't take long to harden and set. Refridgerate or freeze until you're ready for them. Especially if you want to keep them around longer than a day. They are addicting. As my friend Anne stated today, they are the perfect PMS food.


Then, we made this Gingerbread playdoh. Jack did not understand this process at all. He yelled at me : "We do not cook playdoh on the stove Mommy, that is not what we do!!"

Makenna had never seen me make playdoh before either, so she was intrigued too. Had I have been thinking, I would of separated the batch and added the gingerbread spices to one half, and added peppermint extract and crushed candy canes to the other half. Ah well...they had fun with it, and it smells great!






We also made these White Chocolate Peanut Butter Snowballs. Very simple to make, and Makenna liked helping to roll the dough into balls. Which was after she tasted the Peanut butter and decided, finally, after 5 years or so, that she liked it. Up until that moment, I still wasn't sure she was my child ;)


In the midst of all the chaos, a good friend dropped by, another called (a couple times!), Jeff came home for lunch and I checked into facebook to see that 2 new babies were born this week, bringing the total to 3 since Monday. Merry First Christmas to Baby Girl Tupper, Baby Jace Irwin, and Baby Tyson Ireland!


Jack suddenly started to fade around 11am, and by noon he had a fever. He crashed hard on the recliner. After some Advil and a nap he seemed to rally though, let's hope it's nothing too serious. Although sick children at Christmas is a Wormington tradition. Who could forget Quinn's first Christmas when she coated the tree in vomit, at the tender age of 10 months. Good times.


While Jack was napping and Makenna was off with a friend for the afternoon, I finished the white chocolate snowballs.




But my favourite new recipe, by far today was these cookie dough truffles. I finished those this afternoon as well, and boxed everything, as well as some banana bread made last night, up into boxes for some very special recipients. As soon as Makenna got home she bee-lined it to the fridge to try a cookie dough truffle.
Yep. They are deeee-licious.

Top: cookie dough truffles
Middle: white chocolate snowballs
Bottom: Nutchos.


I also finished up the last 2 Christmas Presents, flash drives full of pictures of my kids over the last year, to be given to two recipients with digital picture frames who do not use facebook and so don't see all the pictures of the kids throughout the year.

So...the presents are all wrapped, the baking is all done (except for a few cheesecakes)...all that's left to do is the cleaning...sigh...that can wait till tomorrow!
By the way, have you checked out this blog yet? love love love it!!


From our home to yours...



:)

0 comments: