CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
"To the world you may be one person...but to one person you may be the world..."

About Me

Melissa
I grew up in a village of 500 people and now live in a beach town of 10 000. Wife to Jeff, Mama to Makenna and Jack. This is my place to share what's up with us, and the place where I sometimes need to pour my heart out about the not so sunshiney moments. This is my happy place. Thanks for stopping by :) Copyright 2012 by Melissa Wormington, that no part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, without permission from the publisher.
View my complete profile

The Wormingtons

The Wormingtons
Jeff, Makenna, Jack and Melissa. Spring 2012. Photo credit: Tricia Denomme/Hope Photography

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Cooking with my kids - Autumn Medley Muffins.

Today we made...muffins. surprise surprise. I promise we will make something other than muffins soon.

So today we made what I am going to call "Autumn Medley Muffins". The base of these muffins is actually a carrot cake recipe from this book:




Love these cookbooks. I have about 20 different ones.

We grated a 3lb bag of carrots with our food processor and will freeze what we didn't use today for more carrot cake and muffins.


My assistant today was my little Jack. Whenever I open the pantry and start pulling out ingredients, he runs to the kitchen and drags a chair over the island...he doesn't care what we're making, he just wants to be involved.



So first we combined sugar and oil with the beaters. (Recipe is below).



Then we added the eggs. Jack likes to try to crack the eggs. Taking this picture was a bit tricky, but we managed :)




Then we added vanilla and used the beaters again.


We added flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Then we added about 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree, which I had left over from making cheesecakes earlier in the day.

we stirred it allllll up...and spilled some too.

Then we added our 2 cups of grated carrot...






And, another add in, also not in the original recipe, a handful of sunflower seeds. I added these because they are in the carrot muffins my grandma has at her house and I like the way they taste.



More stirring.








This recipe made about 16 muffins.



Then, clean up time. Mommy's job. Jack found other things to do.



The finished product:



So, with the 2 cups of carrot, 1/2 cup pumpkin puree, and the seeds, I think these muffins are a good snack choice.
Even though his facial expression is questionable in this picture. I assure you, Jack approved.



Below is the Company's Coming Carrot Cake recipe. I chose to add the pumpkin puree and the sunflower seeds, and that's how I came up with the term "Autumn Medley" muffins.
Carrot Cake
1 cup sugar
1 cup cooking oil
3 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/3 cups flour
1 1//2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups grated carrot
Beat sugar and oil in mixing bowl. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Add vanilla. measure in next 5 ingredients. stir to mix.
Stir in grated carrot. Turn into greased pan. (We used muffin tins). Bake at 350 for 35-45 mins. (Our muffins were done in 20 mins).










0 comments: