CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
"To the world you may be one person...but to one person you may be the world..."

About Me

Melissa
I grew up in a village of 500 people and now live in a beach town of 10 000. Wife to Jeff, Mama to Makenna and Jack. This is my place to share what's up with us, and the place where I sometimes need to pour my heart out about the not so sunshiney moments. This is my happy place. Thanks for stopping by :) Copyright 2012 by Melissa Wormington, that no part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, without permission from the publisher.
View my complete profile

The Wormingtons

The Wormingtons
Jeff, Makenna, Jack and Melissa. Spring 2012. Photo credit: Tricia Denomme/Hope Photography

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Random thoughts...

This is my 30th year. I will turn 30 this year, as will many of my friends. A group of my highschool friends have been talking over the last couple days about a possible trip, to celebrate reaching this milestone. We're thinking the end of the year, as most of us will be 30 by then, and those that aren't, will be in a very short time. Nothing extravagant, maybe a trip to Blue Mountain...some spa treatments, some drinks by the fire...

The first of us in that group of girls joined the thirty something group today. Happy Happy Birthday to you my dear friend Candice.

30. really? Are we really planning a getaway for our 30th birthdays? Seems like yesterday we were planning what to wear to the prom...which is a story in itself...perhaps another day.

Seem like yesterday we were agonizing over Shakepeare, Calculus (not me, never made it that far), and which Colleges or Universities to apply to.
Seems like yesterday we were trying to find someone old enough to buy our drinks....seems like yesterday we couldn't wait to be older...and now here we are. Some of us are or are about to be married, some of us have or are about to have kids, one is building her dream home, one is living her dream, halfway around the world, in Australia.

30. When did that happen?


Today is significant in another way too. April 14 2007 changed my tiny hometown of Gorrie forever when one of its own kids, 16 year old Travis, was killed in a hit and run accident just outside of town. He was one of my cousin's best friends, his dad was close to my uncle...one way or another, everyone knew him. I knew him best when he was younger and I worked at the little restaurant in town. It was your typical smalltown restaurant, with the older men who came in for coffee every day, the "after church" crowd, the young families going out every Friday night - their treat for the week. Travis's family was one of those families, he and his sister were preschoolers at the time, and such happy, sweet kids with big smiles. I loved visiting with them and their parents and had regular, ongoing conversations with them over time. 3 years ago that family was ripped apart, 3 of my cousins had their first experience with of the death of a friend...lives were changed forever.

3 years ago.

30.

Sometimes the days seem so slow. But the years are flying by.

0 comments: