CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
"To the world you may be one person...but to one person you may be the world..."

About Me

Melissa
I grew up in a village of 500 people and now live in a beach town of 10 000. Wife to Jeff, Mama to Makenna and Jack. This is my place to share what's up with us, and the place where I sometimes need to pour my heart out about the not so sunshiney moments. This is my happy place. Thanks for stopping by :) Copyright 2012 by Melissa Wormington, that no part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, without permission from the publisher.
View my complete profile

The Wormingtons

The Wormingtons
Jeff, Makenna, Jack and Melissa. Spring 2012. Photo credit: Tricia Denomme/Hope Photography

Thursday, April 8, 2010

All in a day's work

Changing gears from the last couple of days...

My workday was interesting today. I didn't see any kids all day. No playing on the floor, no building towers, no tea parties, no glue and glitter covered fingers...(and by that I mean mine, as they always seem to be the worst)

But I worked. The building I facilitate today's playgroup in also has a coffee club for the local seniors going on at the same time in a different room. The seniors enjoy seeing and hearing the kids as they play. Today I had a chance to talk to one of the men, in his seventies, who I had never met before. He came and found me, invited me down for coffee, and couldn't believe it when i told him i didn't like coffee, especially when he learned I had 2 young children. I sat and talked with this man I had never met before, about him, his life, his hobbies and his health.
As my husband knows, older men tug at my heartstrings and quite often make me cry. I cannot get through the Grumpy Old Men movies without bawling. I tear up when I see older men drinking coffee alone at Tim Hortons or McDonalds. I didn't cry today, but this wonderful man did pull at my heartstrings.

Not long after that, one of my participants came in alone, without any children. I sat and talked with her for awhile too. There was news to share, and I was touched that she came, even though there were no kids to bring, to update me on what was going on. I have known this participant for a long time, and have gotten to know the situation, have listened, laughed and commiserated with her over the years and I was touched that she sought me out today when really, because she had no kids with her, she didn't need to come. Later I visited with another participant, who I went to highschool with, and who also came without her children, so she could have time to talk with me. We talked about how much our lives have changed since becoming mothers, the morals and values we want to instil in our kids, and all the outside influences that threaten them, and us.

I saw yet another participant, a grandmother, who came alone, to get some toys for her grandchild. She shared with me that her daughter in law was expecting again, this fall, and we discussed how close in age the two children would be, how she is struggling with fatigue, nausea and a busy toddler, and the importance of a supportive extended family, which she is lucky enough to have close by.

Today was a good day. Sometimes it's really nice to talk with parents (and grandparents) one on one, about what's going on in their lives. We regularly have parents purposely come alone to talk with us, some of whom haven't used our program in years, but know where we are, know who we are, and know we will listen.

Today I didn't read a story, I didn't sing any songs, I didn't hold any babies or put any puzzles together.

Today I listened, I celebrated, I laughed, I commiserated, and I breathed a sigh of relief with some really great people.

Today I worked.

0 comments: