CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
"To the world you may be one person...but to one person you may be the world..."

About Me

Melissa
I grew up in a village of 500 people and now live in a beach town of 10 000. Wife to Jeff, Mama to Makenna and Jack. This is my place to share what's up with us, and the place where I sometimes need to pour my heart out about the not so sunshiney moments. This is my happy place. Thanks for stopping by :) Copyright 2012 by Melissa Wormington, that no part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, without permission from the publisher.
View my complete profile

The Wormingtons

The Wormingtons
Jeff, Makenna, Jack and Melissa. Spring 2012. Photo credit: Tricia Denomme/Hope Photography

Friday, March 26, 2010

One for the memory book...

Everyone has those days as a parent that they will always rememebr - sometimes they are really wonderful days - the day your child is born, when they first smile, say their first word, take their first steps, the first day of school. Sometimes they are really awful dys - the day they first cut their lip open...get their first cold, get their heart broken. Sometimes they are the "I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't of seen it with my own eyes" kind of days...which for me, was today.

Jack is still in a crib, which is just fine with me. Beside his crib is his bookshelf, which tends to hold many things besides books.

The morning routine in our house is that Jeff gets up before I do, and gets done in the bathroom before Makenna or I need it. He also usually gets Jack out of bed and dressed while I am getting ready. Usually by this time Jeff has had his morning coffee.

This afternoon, Jack slept for an hour. Usually I wait a bit to see if he'll go back to sleep. Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn.t Today, it didn't take long for me to realize he was up to stay. He was screeching and yelling and having a party up there in his room. He seemed happy enough, so I left him for bit while I finished what I was doing.
It is also standard for Jack, either before he goes to sleep or immediately upon waking, to stand up and throw EVERYTHING out of his crib - blankets, pillow, stuffed animals, everything.
So it was no surprise when I went upstairs to see that everything was out of crib.

Well, almost everything.

I wish I had my camera, but i didn't, so you'll have to take my word for it.

In the crib, was Jack, jumping up and down. Beside him, on the crib mattress, was Jeff's coffee cup.

I can assure you, the coffee cup was not in the crib when I put him down for his nap.
No, apparently it was on the bookshelf, beside his crib. And no, Jeff had not finished his coffee this morning.

Jack finished it for him.
Yup.

He had reached over, to where it was in his reach, and grabbed the coffee cup, and drank it, I would say a quarter of a cup, of cold coffee. I know this, because he reeked of coffee, a smell that I cannot stand to begin with and now it was coming from my two year old.

Who, by the way, was having a wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee of a time, bouncing all over his crib, or, in this situation, I very appropriately refer to as "his cage".

So the first thing I feel is panic. OMG. Can this actually hurt him? It's caffeine. Will it hurt his little body? But it was cold coffee, so is the caffeine really still as effective?

Then I looked at him again. Yup, the caffeine was effective.

I would at this point, like to demand my own mother stop laughing.

Next, my thoughts immediately go to my husband. Boy, was he going to hear about this. Right Now. So I called him at work and informed him he owed me supper. He stopped laughing long enough to ask me where from, and I told him I didn't care.

Then, I tried to drown the coffee with milk, knowing fuill well that likely wouldn't make much difference. While my son ran around the kitchen laughing and yelling.

Good times.

Then, I found out just what caffeine does to little bodies, as I have changed 4 diapers in the last 2 hrs. It would have been 5, but we actually got to the potty in time once, which i suppose is the silver lining - it's helping with potty training.

So, you say: why was the coffee cup even there in the first place? I know. Jeff's pretty good at leaving things everywhere, and yes, i should've picked it up myself. Had I of noticed it.

Traumatic? no. Life threatening? no. Memorable?
Yup.

And you people wonder why I don't drink coffee.

Mom: I can hear you.

0 comments: