CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
"To the world you may be one person...but to one person you may be the world..."

About Me

Melissa
I grew up in a village of 500 people and now live in a beach town of 10 000. Wife to Jeff, Mama to Makenna and Jack. This is my place to share what's up with us, and the place where I sometimes need to pour my heart out about the not so sunshiney moments. This is my happy place. Thanks for stopping by :) Copyright 2012 by Melissa Wormington, that no part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, without permission from the publisher.
View my complete profile

The Wormingtons

The Wormingtons
Jeff, Makenna, Jack and Melissa. Spring 2012. Photo credit: Tricia Denomme/Hope Photography

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Happy Birthday Jack!!


Happy Birthday Jack!! 2 Years old today! 2 years doesn’t seem like a long time when you say it, and yet, it feels like you’ve been with us so much longer than just 2 years.

What a personality you have developed in the last year. You are full of charm, and charisma, stubbornness. and fire, and love. You have a temper, but you have a sweet side to balance it out. You can infuriate me one minute, and make me laugh until I cry the next. You are really funny. And you seem to know it. You love an audience. You have a lot of your dad in you, which makes me both look forward to, and fear, the future. You know how to get my attention, and when all else fails, you take both hands to either side of my face, and MAKE me look at you. You have done this since just before you turned one, and it makes me giggle every time.

You have a great vocabulary and are always talking, from the moment you get up to the moment you go to bed. And if no one seems to be listening to you, you’ll just keep talking, asking, demanding, until they do. You’re pronounciation of certain sounds isn’t quite there, and sometimes it takes a bit of guess work or interpretation to figure out what you are saying. Jodi refers to your own little language as “Jackanese”.

You know and can identify all of the letters of the alphabet, whether they are in order or not, and when we are out and about, you are always pointing out letters you see, like the “D” in Dollarama, the “Z” in “Zehrs” or the “M” on Rylin’s “Montreal” shirt. I have to admit, even I am quite impressed by this. You can also count to 10, although is sounds like, “one, two, pee, pour, pie, sick, seben, eh, nigh, ten, yay!” But we get it.

You have developed quite a liking to Elmo and Cookie Monster. You have 3 Elmos and a cookie monster in your bed with you every night (still the crib, and that’s okay!), and lately they have been joining us at the dinner table as well.
You seem to thrive on structure and routine, as you like to do the same thing every day after your nap and after we get home from Jodi’s.

You also love music. We have a sesame street CD that you like to listen to in the van, but your favourite kind of music seems to be your daddy’s music. I don’t think anyone in this family will forget your obsession with the song “Tricky” by Run DMC, for years to come.

You just absolutely adore your big sister, and love to mimic whatever she is doing, especially when she is playing wii. You also like her “bobbies” (barbies) and her books.
You love your books. Any and all books. Right now your favourite ones are about Elmo, ABC books and “Love you Forever” by Robert Munsch.

Your appetite comes and goes, and you have an aversion to meat, unless it is in quesadillas. You love apples and bananas (but they have to be whole, not cut up), and cheese strings and corn pops.

But most of all, you love your mommy. You seem to be stuck up to your chin in mommy glue most days, never letting me get very far away. You prefer mommy putting you to bed, you prefer mommy reading to you, you prefer mommy holding you, you prefer mommy for almost everything. Almost.
I always heard that there is a special bond between mothers and their sons and I am starting to understand how it is different than mothers and daughters…not better, just different. I don’t know if it’s because you’re my baby, because you are a boy, or because you’re still such a little boy but the bond I share with you is hard to put into words. If you are anything like your daddy or your uncles, I know there will be times in the future that we will not see eye to eye, that you will infuriate me, and frustrate me, and worry me, and make me lose sleep. So I am living in the “now”. I am trying to enjoy every minute of you being a toddler. The terrible twos and the terrific twos. You have enriched my life in so so so many ways. You have made me a better mom because you have taught me new lessons, and new ways to parent. It’s only been two years, and you are so much a part of me, and such a vibrant part of our family, that’s it hard to remember what life was like before you came along. Quieter maybe…but not nearly as interesting.
You have a very busy year ahead of you – so much to see and do and learn…potty training, a big boy bed, learning to ride a tricycle, and maybe, just maybe, sneaking some meat in there too. You’ll always keep me guessing, I know that about you already, and I look forward to all the next year has in store.

Happy Birthday my little boy... “wub you”

0 comments: