CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
"To the world you may be one person...but to one person you may be the world..."

About Me

Melissa
I grew up in a village of 500 people and now live in a beach town of 10 000. Wife to Jeff, Mama to Makenna and Jack. This is my place to share what's up with us, and the place where I sometimes need to pour my heart out about the not so sunshiney moments. This is my happy place. Thanks for stopping by :) Copyright 2012 by Melissa Wormington, that no part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, without permission from the publisher.
View my complete profile

The Wormingtons

The Wormingtons
Jeff, Makenna, Jack and Melissa. Spring 2012. Photo credit: Tricia Denomme/Hope Photography

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Life Lesson #167.

The wedding day had finally arrived. As the young one was preparing for the big moment in the spotlight, filled with a mixture of excitement and trepidation, the older, wiser one entered the room and asked for a moment alone. The others complied. The two generations sat down at the kitchen table where the older, wiser one laid a handful of dollar bills, of different values on the table…face side up. “What do you see?” asked the wiser one.

“money” came the reply. The younger one was impressed, thinking this was a wedding gift. “But what do you SEE???” Asked the older one. The younger one quickly tallied the total of the bills and answered with the dollar amount. The older one pressed on ”what do you see in these bills?” The younger one wasn’t getting it so the wiser one began…

“In these faces, do you see happiness?”
“No”, replied the younger one.
“Do you see joy?”
“No.”
“Love? Trust? Commitment?”
“No” the young one responded, understanding now.
“Always remember that you will never find happiness, joy or love in these faces” said the wiser one. “They alone will never bring you any of that”.

That, my friends, is a true story, and I love it. I just heard its origins a few months ago and it has stuck with me every day.
I could go on and on about how true that is and how money can’t buy you happiness, but I think it’s self explanatory. To me, it’s a non issue. If Jeff and I were going to split up over money, we never would have made it down the aisle. We don’t love eachother and aren’t together because of money…we love eachother and are together in spite of it.

‘Nuff said.

0 comments: