CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
"To the world you may be one person...but to one person you may be the world..."

About Me

Melissa
I grew up in a village of 500 people and now live in a beach town of 10 000. Wife to Jeff, Mama to Makenna and Jack. This is my place to share what's up with us, and the place where I sometimes need to pour my heart out about the not so sunshiney moments. This is my happy place. Thanks for stopping by :) Copyright 2012 by Melissa Wormington, that no part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, without permission from the publisher.
View my complete profile

The Wormingtons

The Wormingtons
Jeff, Makenna, Jack and Melissa. Spring 2012. Photo credit: Tricia Denomme/Hope Photography

Friday, February 29, 2008

Dear Jeff...




Dear Jeff,

Where do I begin? There are so many things to say, but how?

We've been together almost 9 years. So much has happened over that time. Sometimes I don't even really remember life, "pre jeff". Never in a million years did I think I'd end up with someone like you. Never in a million years would I have been happy if I didn't.

When we first met and got together we were both young and thought we had the world by its ass. We thought we knew everything, we thought we had all the time in the world, we thought we could do anything. And turns out, we can - together.

Fast forward to today and we've been married almost 5 years and we have 2 kids. Who would have ever thought? Oh, that's right, you would have. You knew all along that we would get married and have kids. You couldn't wait.

And here we are. Life is pretty good. And you truly have become my life partner, my soulmate. They say that you fall in love with a man all over again, in a different way, once you see him as a parent, with your children. I remember that with Makenna, and I'm being reminded of it again now. You can measure a man in many ways - by success, by wealth, by appearance, by popularity - but I find the best measure of a man is to watch him with his family.

Watch him with his wife - when she tells you she's going to have your baby - watch his eyes as they light up, and then tear up. And then over the next few months watch him as he shows infinite patience with her complaints, her aches and pains, her hormonal ups and downs. Watch him as he holds her hair back as she is sick for the umpteenth time...and tries REALLY hard not to complain, because after all, it's all for your baby. Watch him as she tells him it's time, and see the fear, and the excitement in his eyes. Watch it turn to just fear as contractions intensify the time is nearing. He never leaves her side, there for her 100% - trying to put on a brave face, but shaking on the inside - he feels so helpless and wishes there was something he could do. He tells her he wishes he could do it for her, and she knows he would if he could. Finally, the fear turns to pure joy as his daughter is born. In an instant this man is wrapped around a tiny newborn finger, and will never be the same.

Watch him with his daughter. Seeing the world through her eyes and rediscovering all of life's little pleasures. He is so incredibly gentle and tender as he holds her, rocks her, soothes her, and then typically boisterous as he plays with her. Such opposite ends of the spectrum of behaviour, all within the same man - and he can turn them on and off instantly. You've never seen him in this light before - it really is a whole new side of him, and you're so lucky that he has it.

Then, the cycle repeats. Another pregnancy, another baby - this time a boy. You'll never forget the look in eyes the moment his children enter the world. What a moment to remember. Such excitement, exhilaration. And you feel so proud. So happy for HIM. And again you see him with a baby, so soft and gentle, so soothing. And now at the same time you see him as he tries to help your daughter adjust to this new addition. He says and does all the right things and you wonder how he knows. How does he know to do that? Where does he find it within himself?

And then back to his wife, as she is adjusting to her new life, trying to find her way as a mother of two. The hormones are up and down again, and there are lots of tears. she tries to come to terms with her new body, the lack of sleep, the complete dependance the new baby has on her, and the guilt she feels about her changed relationship with her daughter. He takes it all in, day by day and again, feels helpless at her tears, but knows she will adjust. He has more faith in her than she does in herself. He holds her, rocks her, soothes her. He does everything. And he does it right.

There is so much more to learn, so much more to gain, by watching a man with his family. On the outside you are "just another guy" - a typical guy, in a typical town with a typical job and family life. But truly, if they could see you like I do, if they could see into your heart like I do, if they knew what I know, they'd be writing about you too.

Never back then when we were dreaming big and making plans did I know it would turn out this way. Never did I know that this "simple guy" would be such a gift to me. Where would I be without you? What would I do? I know I cannot do this alone, I know you truly are my other half. I am so grateful you chose me back then, and that you were so persistant. I am so glad I listened to my heart, and not my head back then. How did you know life would turn out this way? How do you know I can do this? Why did you choose me?

For all you are, for all you do, day in and day out, if I seem ungrateful - this is for you. I see you for who you are. I know.

And thank you.
xoxo.

0 comments: